Saturday, May 31, 2014

When Politics Turns Ugly

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/06/03/your-letters-when-politics-turns-ugly.html

I turned my head sideways when my senior colleague’s voice thundered announcing the English battle of two presidential candidates aired on TV. Needless to say, I knew who won! It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Prabowo definitely sends a knockout blow to Jokowi.

On another occasion, my brother is at loggerheads with My Dad. Highlighted that although Prabowo does not have governmental experience, the former Special Forces Commander has a strong and decisive presidential leadership style this country needs. My brother sees such style as critical for better Indonesia. In addition, he has clear vision and mission once he holds the job.

In contrast, my Dad finds Jokowi as a man with character who remains loyal to the plights of ordinary people and whose track record so far is clean. He is humble, approachable, and is never part of the status quo in running the governmental post. He works hard and does not say many rhetorical words to please the crowds. His down to earth leadership is the leadership of the people which means he is a genuine servant of the people. My Dad said Indonesia needs a fresh figure with integrity to take the lead.

“A breath of fresh air among the traditional political elite which is known for its oligarchic and corruptive nature is what we crave for.” My Dad said weakly due to his ailing health.

Meanwhile, my Mum and I are caught up in the middle. We swallowed hard as acid comes to our mouth. Gee, I cross my arms and shake my head in disbelief!

I now feel such a sense of disillusionment to see these days many families and communities in homes, offices or any other public places come head-to-head in debate on who would be best to lead the biggest economy in South East Asia. Sipping your coffee, brewing your tea or munching at your cakes without discussing about the two figures feels sour!

And this raucous hullabaloo begins from ugly politics!

Duh! How I resent corrupt politics! Lol.

When there’s no single party emerged with enough votes to put forward a presidential ticket alone, a macabre of twisted turns and unexpected alliances was obscenely paraded. Ten parties that garnered enough votes to enter parliament were orchestrating tricks and ruses to form coalitions for securing power for their own self-interest, and not for the PEOPLE. The result has been weeks of political horse trading, backroom negotiations, and party infighting.

The last minute maneuver of Aburizal Bakrie is shocking. The runner up winner switched side to former general Prabowo Subianto of the Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra) for a few cabinet ministerial transactions or God knows what other bargain. This is in my personal view is shaming the party. Some seasoned politicians followed suit. The list goes longer than I anticipated.

Oh, my stomach recoiled in horror!

Then, I find it more nauseating to learn how Amien Rais, one of the former icons of the country’s reform movement, blindly endorsed Prabowo for the top job on this country because Hatta is running for the vice President. He even went further to liken Prabowo to the nation’s founding father.

I laughed bitterly hearing his speech. I mean come on, he switched side to his former nemesis. Obsession for power and control is fearsome to be sure. I guess he was now only a shrinking shadow of the man he used to be.

Politics is indeed can be so sickening and there’s no absolute truth in it but viewed from transactional vested interest.

What is taking shape now is a two horse race between two very different candidates. Indonesians will have to choose between Jakarta governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and former general Prabowo Subianto of the Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra).

The clock is now ticking for July’s Presidential election for the two president hopeful candidates.

Smear campaign is thick on the air. Each contender is repeatedly attacked from all direction through social media and news network.

Issues on Jokowi’s ethnicity and religious background spread like wild fire in the online community. His lack of vision and allegedly unseasoned quality as a leader is relentlessly exposed to bring him down. His opponents consider him a puppet of his party who is too weak to rule. Further, he is still burdened by the promises he has made during his campaign for the Gubernatorial office.

Likewise, Prabowo’s alleged involvement in some staggering human rights violation including his alleged role in May riot keeps resurfing to hamper his ambition. His allegedly short temper and ruthless military style becomes major issue related to his character. To add matter worse, the background where he comes from the inner circle of the former status quo cast a dark cloud over his head. Not to mention that so far he has not done anything real for the people but throwing promises and rhetoric. His ambition to run for the top job is considered like a wild horse.

This contest dynamics has viciously slithered through my home and office. Whether I like it or not, I need to choose instead of playing a silent role of a political abstainer. One voice might make a different.

That’s why, disregard of the perpetual smears; I focus on the candidates’ character. I’m supporting real character, not character assassination. The character of a person is something abstract; it cannot — and should not — be measured by numbers, a pass-or-fail grade, the educational certificate, or the language proficiency. Character isn’t a superficial style. It is who we essentially are. It is abstract but it is visible if we look for it carefully.

Afterall, Indonesia has never been lacking of smart, clever and intelligent people. What Indonesia lacks is a leader with character and humility.

In my humble opinion, character of a person can be seen from his track record, lifelong ambition and purpose, attitude and consistency of mind, words and actions. Successful leadership is not about being tough or soft, assertive or sensitive but it’s about having a particular set of attributes in which character is the chief.

I want a leader who has straightforward style that sets him apart from an aloof and elitist political establishment that has long dominated this nation. As I come from marginalized community, I want a leader who comes from such background, who knows the bitterness of being poor, helpless and mistreated so he becomes passionate servant of his people. I want a ruler who does not run after the prestigious job zealously to seize power to accumulate wealth, power, and thus control. Instead, he should be the one who is humbly offered the post and endorsed by the ordinary people.

Most importantly, I want a self-made leader who has character and humility. Unlike many of Indonesia’s politicians and leaders who were born into positions of power and privilege, I want a fresh figure who has no such advantage as such a man would be unusually honest and genuine man of integrity as the servant of people.

Having said that, I guess I have said plainly who my champion is J


No comments: