Monday, March 19, 2012

Defeating Boredom at Office

This morning I got a call from my colleague. At the other end of the line, she said in frustration, “My work is a drag; I’m deadly bored. Help me, please!” Well, actually I wanted to say, “Yeah, tell me about it! We’re on the same boat! Welcome to the club!” hahhahahhahahah… But the words stayed in my mouth, sealed and safely securedJ. I knew it would worsen her days if I said so. Being a good friend, I lent some words of comforts. “C’mon, get up and make plans. Do something spontaneous to kill your boredom. Go out to lunch somewhere outside your work area, get a manicure, you’re your camera and take some shots, go to rooftop and scream it aloud, go home on time today or just read a good book. YOU create your day!” “I read novels to kill my boredom.” I said enthusiastically, hoping to infect her with my jollyJ. I further said “If you want a perfect ending, you would never find it. Even the best poems don’t rhyme, and many great stories don’t have a perfect happy ending. Life is about not knowing, fighting through some bad days to earn the best days of your life, and taking a moment and making the best of it without knowing what’s going to happen next. Don’t let boredom defeats you.” In short, I composed some wonderful speech I used to read to cheer her up :-) (ehm…though I’m still struggling hard to apply this wisdom, lol).







To be honest, doing the same things the same way daily, one day identical to the next tends to leave you feeling unhappy, and discontent. It becomes routines as every day is the same thing; the same people, the same walls, the same colors, the same paperwork, the same uproars, the same ‘confinement’ at your desk as if you are glued to your chair for eternity, lol. Our days become dull because we no longer have to think about it–it’s set on autopilot. You simply do your work because that’s part of your routine. Our days become predictable, leaving no room to grow. We lose the challenge and the adrenalin especially when the company doesn’t offer any possibilities for growth and improvement. The feeling of having no opportunity for improvement and that you’re completely stuck in a rut helplessly can be very overwhelming sometimes. Often, an increased boredom affects the employee’s creativity and work performance. Absenteeism, increased tardiness, job dissatisfaction and apathetic mood are some warning signs for employees who get infected by such virus called ‘boredom’. It is one of the common problems faced by employees today. If it is not addressed properly, it might lead to lower job production. So, if one of your colleagues shows such signs, beware and try to give him/her support and encouragement :-).







Well, as I have said to my friend “Let’s face it! Sometimes, we don’t always get what we want. You have to accept that some things will never be yours, and learn to appreciate the things that are only yours. Sometimes, we think life in office is so unfair. But we shape OUR DAY! So, get up and make sunshine of our day!” Say goodbye to so many ‘whys’ in our head, “Why am I here?” How long am I going to slog it out out this way?” Don’t wait for the Management to make a move when you feel like having a Caramel Macchiato or Iced Apple Mojito Tea or a cup of hot ‘teh tarik’. You have to move and do it yourself! Don’t expect your Management to set things right for you. You have to make your own sunshine at office, things that keep you passionate and engaged :-)! In times of great stress, keeps in your mind that it’s always wise to keep busy, to cultivate your anger and frustration into something positive. Have fun at your work, it is our birth right to have fun :-)! Do things that keep you alive; blogging, read jokes to make you laugh; nail some pictures at your cubicles, drawing some cartoons of your annoying boss or colleagues, writing your novel, or you can always have a good conversation, a good read, a good walk, a good hug, a good smile, or a good friend. A workplace needs not be a boring, dull place :-). There are many ways to make your life ‘creamy’ and amusing :-).





No comments: