Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Hidden Jewel Across Jakarta Bay

I am neither a good swimmer nor fans of the mighty seas. The vast and endless waters always send a chill down my spine. It feels like they suck me in infinity and beyond. I’d rather plant my feet in solid ground.


Yet, stories of the breathtakingly coral, colored fish and underwater critters had lured my resolve to get in waters of Tidung Island with fins and goggles last long weekend. What's more, the dizzying pace of Jakarta life along with its notorious traffic jams, pollution, and blaring horns steeled my determination to find a gateway for such chaos. I desperately needed a remote place to calm the mind, and the island seemed offering beguiling attraction.

Tidung is famous with its natural beauty, the friendliness of its people and the uniqueness of its tourism. It is called the "New Paradise" and is the largest island in the group of the Thousand Islands (Kepulauan Seribu). It is just a few miles away north of Jakarta by a three hour ride on traditional fisherman’s boat or an hour on speedboat.

As I relied on restraint budget, I took the family package tour of Rp. 350,000/ person. The price covered the cost for home stay, meals, one banana boat ride, rental bike and snorkeling. We departed by traditional boat that was similar with refugee vessel from Muara Angke port where I should sit on the floorboard in the sweltering heat, cramped along with other passengers. It was overcrowded with more than 100 passengers overboard.

The waves toyed the boat around, sending a rippling churning to my stomach. Sometimes, the Captain would shout aloud that the boat tipped to the right, sending passengers panicking and moving to the left to keep its balance. It was an adrenaline voyage indeed!

Keep in mind that there are no resorts, hotels, or fancy restaurants on this island and the experience is probably best reserved for a day trip. It’s for the adventurous people. However, Tidung Island natives have their homes to rent. To move around the island, visitors should ride their rental bike or hail becak motor (trishaw or pedicab). It’s totally back to nature holiday!

After three hours wild ride, I arrived in the Island. The dock was overcrowded with people rushing in and out of the small island. Pushing and shoving made the queue turned into a total havoc. Hundreds of visitors invaded the site, igniting hustle bustle in the remote island.

Putting our travel bags in our lodging, we came to meet our guide who immediately took us to the dock for snorkeling. The captain with its crews moved us on. We'd already lost some snorkeling time and he wanted to put us in the water, which was the primary plan. To our surprise, the water was like a transparent glass in which we could steal a glimpse underneath. We couldn't believe it could be so calm--more like a lake than an ocean.

He pulled in into pretty calm water. We saw 10 or so people had all snorkeled and jumped quickly into the water. I was still a little nervous. It was my first time to snorkel. Despite my worries, I really wanted to be in that clear water as the heat was unbearable. The captain patiently gave safety instruction, and set me up with equipment. Hesitantly, over the side I went, with a noodle for a safety blanket.

As I saw the majestic view through my goggles, everything else in the world stopped. Sooner than I expected, I ditched the noodle because it was a distraction. Colorful corals and fishes greeted my eyes. I was completely bewitched! Amazing underwater topography, so many different fish, beautiful brightly colored corals and underwater plant life so close it seemed you could reach out and touch them. I felt a bit like an Atlantis resident. Breathtaking!

Floating in the water, watching and listening to more than I could ever hope to take in, was amazing. It’s like having a relapse from the chaotic hectic world into a peaceful serene landscape. The snorkeling itself was absolutely beautiful and addicting. And it was only some miles away from Jakarta with small budget. Refreshing!







No comments: