Thursday, April 18, 2013

In Between Optimism and Pesimism

“An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight. . . The truly wise person is colorblind.” (Albert Schweitzer)


Depending on how we view our life, our workplace can be either a series of dark rooms, with unbearable pressures from demanding bosses and sad music blasting from computers or bright shiny rooms with sweet fragrance and challenging environment to work in. It’s like describing an image of a glass of liquid as half empty or half full. An optimist in office will always see the glass as half-full, expecting things to go well and dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation. A pessimist, on the other hand, tends to see the glass as half-empty, expecting things to go bad and focus on the negative sides of most things.

While most people tend to take side on the optimists, I prefer to fall in between. I prefer to see both sides of the coin. I am neither foolishly optimistic nor depressingly pessimistic in office as life always throws us curveballs that makes it hard to predict on what comes next. The only surest thing about life that we all agree upon that it is unpredictable.

So with the life in office. I can be optimistic; raking my brain out to cope with this unpredictability and scheme plans to make them work. Nevertheless, sometimes I fear to experience pitfalls when my plans turn out to be total failure. For that very reason, I sometimes dwell on the downside of any plans I make to devise a protective buffer in case things might go wrong.

Assessing the fact as it is and being prepared to take it head on is my take! I don’t like to pretend that everything’s going to work out because most of the time, it doesn’t. I dont't like to pretend to cheer up all the time despite the disspointment just because people tell me so! Things may have gotten worse, but then you learn to understand how to interpret them positively.

As an example, I look at things honestly using my years of experience no matter how bitter that may sound. I am always optimist that I could perform well in any field of work I am assigned to. It is my responsibility to carve my work with excellence. Nonetheless, I don’t ignore the possible pitfalls, the darker reality of my working environment. If I go through this reality with blind optimism, I would be so disappointed that eventually the heartbreaking environment might crush me.

It is a sad depressing fact. I see it as it is. I don't like to pretend seeing beautiful rainbows over the skies while islands of clouds gather to form downpours and tornado! No matter how good or satisfying you do your work; you are constantly denied to move forward or to even obtain salary and benefits that should be your rights to claim solely because the system says so. It's the unlucky circumstances that lead to the unfairness. It is a fact. Therefore, I am prepared to anticipate the worse without losing my ethics in performing my job.

So, to avoid falling into prey to depressing pessimist, I don’t try to deny this fact. It is OK to feel disappointed and hail a torrent of protests and complaints or just stared in disbelief. Yet, in the end of the day, the show must go on!

Now, I have a response in case I am accosted by unbearable optimists at office.

“I’m not smiling because I don’t feel like walking around looking like an idiot! I don't feel like telling people around that the system is great because the Management thinks so! And I refuse to pretend that everything’s going to be OK just to please everybody.”


I know that things will get harder and I must work harder due to the unfortunate situation. Yet, in spite of this, I do the work and attain the targeted result for my office. I have learned that things sometimes do not go according to how you expect them to go. It is the art of keeping a balance between being optimism and pessimism with reality. Whatever hardships you might encounter have simply made you a smarter and wiser person. They have taught you that not everything goes as you wish or plan. You have learned not to run at things blindly hoping you will be lucky. Most importantly you have learned lessons that hopefully would make you a better person.



No comments: