Sunday, November 30, 2014

On Teachers' Day

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/11/28/your-letters-happy-teachers-day.html

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires (William Arthur Ward)

On the National Teachers' day, my mind flew back to the old memories during school. I have conviction these memories of teachers persist, continuing to influence my live years later. The sweet and bitter memories are indeed indelible, sealing the lifelong influence that a teacher can have.

I remember my exceptional English teacher in the junior high school by heart. I was greatly affected by his love of the subject and his teaching talent. English was always hard for me. I didn't understand things the first time. It was worsened by my shyness. Combined, they put me into a torture chamber. Then, this particular teacher went out of his way throughout the year to create a fun way of learning and touch our hearts. The way he humored the class with his eccentric English accent along with the creative methods he labored, have unlocked  the imagination and energy of the class. 

Somehow, he sensed that I was extremely shy. I was simply a drop of water in the vast ocean. Yet, he didn't scold or punish me for my drawbacks. Instead, he encouraged me to keep on going and assured me it's OK to err. He said every great person always learn from their mistakes. In measured steps and with great skill he asked more and more of me in terms of participating in discussions. Unlike other teachers who didn't even know I existed, he knew me by name and heart.  He believed in me and gently pushed me to face what I found hardest to do -- speak up my mind in the public arena. I will never forget him. He nurtured my love for the subject and for writing. He inspired me to do things I was afraid of to do. He helped me to build my self esteem and identify my strenght.

In contrast, I also recall one particular Math teacher in the same school.  Math was my worst enemy and nightmare. I don't remember his name, but he had a way of making me feel like a second class citizen because I was a slow learner in this subject. It was a daily battle. I was not lazy but numbers was sort of my Achilles'' heel. Instead of helping me to find effective way to master the subject, he had made me look like a fool. It was still as vivid as lava when he deliberately drew a long white line across my face in front of the class with his favorite chalk on the day I failed to sum up and divide numbers as he instructed. It was humiliating and left a scar on my fragile heart. Some students suffered the same fate. We disliked him greatly. His class sent a wave of terror through me. To this day, the dreadful memory etched on mind like an annoying parasite

These two opposite experiences make me strongly believe that teaching by heart and love is much more effective than by fear and terror. Inspiring ways of learning unbolt the gate of my mind, to soar high and free. It helps me to overcome fears and doubts. It paid off when I nailed the subject. While demeaning ways of learning seal the gate to the land of opportunity. It forever shields me away from moving forward due to constant fear and shame. It became my silent bane. Both consequently have great influence on the way I choose my path the years afterwards.

Hence, it is undeniable that teachers hold in their hands the Holy Grail for the future of our nation. The children they teach are the future generation who will take the leadership estafet from their forefathers. They are the critical guardians of the intellectual life as well as the character of the nation.

In this sense, teachers are the foundation upon which a child's character is built. School is the closest laboratory of character building to home because a child spends more time in school rather than at home. Therefore, teachers have great responsibility to educate, to advise, to counsel and to nurture their students in realizing their full potential, shaping their character altogether. They should give their students the tools to become authors of their own life story and builders of a better world. It is not an exaggeration then to say that teachers are the catalyst for the emergence of a revolutionary ideal through knowledge and education.

Having said so, it is significantly important for teachers to build the integrity and character of the children by choosing to do the right thing. It is a case of living by example, providing a good role model. Teachers become the gravity of social values, ethics and a set of beliefs their students look up to. Effective teachers unlock the energies, imaginations, and, most of all, the minds of their students. To be such an ideal, they have to be highly passionate and obsessive about teaching just like a painter is about painting or an artist is about art. They way they shape and mould their students will leave lasting imprints on their students. Great teachers help their pupils to prepare in their quest in life, and the opposite thrust them into a dark alley of mistrust and doubt.

It is also worthy to note that teachers have the role of more than just to tell, explain or demonstrate. In today's technological savvy, students can get those stuffs from the internet. Every bit of information and knowledge are stored online, and anyone can have access to this massive knowledge repository by one simple click on their desktop. One thing this virtual world lack is the power to inspire. This is the sole authority of human to do so. This is the privilege of a teacher to inspire their students to be better and contribute to help building a better world.

I personally believe that great teachers should become role models and idols for students. Apart from educating students on subjects by touching the students' minds, they have noble duty to also touch their spirits -- the way they see and feel about themselves for the rest of their lives. Such influence is truly a rare privilege that should be prized and nurtured.

So, Happy Teachers Day! We thank all the great teachers out there. We love you!


No comments: