Sunday, July 6, 2008

ANOTHER STRUGGLE

Thursday, 3rd July 2008

It was a big day for my husband and I. We were scheduled to have intra-uterine insemination (IUI)on this day afternoon. Our hope was once again flickered after almost two years efforts to conceive a child.

I had several tests already before this step was taken. My cysts had been removed wit laparoscopy procedure at the beginning of year 2007. Along with that, my appendix was also cut off during the process because it swelled and was not in a good condition (perhaps that;s why I got several attacks of sudden stomach ache, lol. My doctor also found out that my antisperm antibody was too high so that it needed to be lowered. So, we were sent to an andrology consultant to find the best treatment. It was decided I had to undergo a treatment called paternal leukocyte immunization (PLI) to normalize my ASA. I had to be given PLI for six times before my ASA reached its normal level. Along with that I was given some medications to lower my prolactin. All treatment completed at July 2007. My doctor said everthing was normal by then and we could start our baby program.

Months elapsed, and still no signs of pregnancy. My last several USG showed that my ovaries were normal and the ‘eggs’ were also good. Once, through internal USG (I hated when I had to experience this L), their size were ready for ovulation. The doctor always gave me ovulation-stimulating medications (lanturol, natural, overtil). Yet, the result was not yet satisfying. My husband and I had reached the stage of total submission to the Divine. We prayed and kept on trying. We had even decided to consider an adoption option.

On my last visit on 27th June 2008 (the 8th after my period), the doctor said we had to try an intra-uterine insemination (IUI), also known as artificial insemination to increase our chance of having babies. We decided to give it a try. He then prescribed some medication prior to the processand conducted an internal USG (thanks God, it was performed by a female doctor)… the result showed that there was one egg folikel size 1.6 and other small ones with various sizes. The insemination was then scheduled on 3rd July 2008. 0I was given parlodel to lower my prolactin and lanturol. No further explanations were provided. That was what I always upset about…if we didn’t ask questions, no clear explanations provided…50 patients within 3 hoursso it was always a long queue and a short session, L. It tested my patience, and often I run out of it…snapped ad mumbledlol. Luckily, we had internet so we could gain as much information as needed.

Then the big day arrived. Thursday morning, I was still calm and did my house works as usual. I took two days leave from my office. We left home at 11 am. We stopped by the local bank to attend some affairs first….arriving at hospital at 1 pm. We were told to arrive at that hour. Sadly, we had to wait for one and half an hour because the appointed staffs at the laboratory had not come… I was wondering why on earth they were negligent like that. Later we found out that the staffs were not informed that there would a patient for insemination… I already lost my mood at that time…I was so hungry (we hadn’t have our lunch) and frustrated. I began to panic and my heart ran fast. I snapped at my husband and angry without cause. I was about to decide to cancel it but my husband patiently persuaded me to calm down. So, I took my dhuzur pray and tried to relax. The laboratory staffs finally came at 2.30 pm and my husband went with them to do the process first. The process of preparing and selecting a highly concentrated amount of active motile sperms. We had to wait another three hours. In the meantime, we had our lunch at nearby foodstall… and I ate some fresh mango, banana, and melon. I wondered why the doctor did not run any tests on me…I mean blood pressure, temperature, USG to see the eggs follicle. It seemed it was all decided that I was in fertile period because it’s my 14th cycle…the average of ovulation came at the cycle. Again, my mouth was locked as restless and mind absence less sometimes blocked me for any reasonable arguments.

The process was quick and a little bit inconvenient. A quite friendly nurse guided me the labor room. There three beds in a row. She asked me to lay down in one of them and tried to relax. She saw my fear and panic attack…The room reminded me of the surgical room I was once in …so she called my husband to comfort me while waiting the doctor to arrive. It was much much more inconvenient than having an internal USG. It was performed at 5 pm. There were three nurses standing by, my husband and my doctor. I prayed at heart while the doctor did his job. My husband was asked to inject the liquid himself…the doctor guided him with dua In the name of Allah, the most beneficent, the most merciful.

Afterwards, I was ordered to stay at the bed for two hours before going home. My doctor prescribed me another medication, Bucospan 10 mg. I was relieved it was all over. I prayed it would work as I could not imagine myself enduring such process again

At 7 pm, we went home. I felt a little awkward in my stomach and so tired. We were hopeful of the result, also we were in total submission, tawakal, whatever the result … And I was all tied up at my bed for these last four days, lol.

No comments: