Wednesday, October 8, 2008

HARVESTING MANGOES

This was the moment when my dad, my brother and sister, my sister in law, my nephew were gathering at my parent's small garden for mangoes harvesting. There were two mango trees who had many ripe fruits. You could see by their color and the way the night bats ate some of them.

My brother was not so good at climbing high trees...and my husband was just scared of high. So, he used a long bamboo pole to pick them. There was a kind of small bracket at the top in which a small hole was made in the middle. It's called 'galah' in my village. He had to put the mango in the bracket, then the pole was pulled with speed so that the braches got twisted and the mango fell into it. It's quite tiring and sore to hold it up for hour, lol. But my dad insisted that he should climb to pick the mangoes although his left foot was hurt . No one of his kids could stop him...not even his wife, lol. I guessed he's just so happy to see all his children coming home at Eid

In our small garden, there were a mother hen with her little chickens and a cock roaming around. My father kept them as one of his activity after retired. There were also two Rambutan trees, but they were still in flower at the moment. Their fruits could be harvested after 2-3 months. This garden and the area around my home always made me homesick upon returning to the city, I have to wait another year to experience this again

No comments: