Wednesday, October 8, 2008

MY BEST FRIEND'S LITTLE GRAPE VINE

As usual, on long holiday after Eid, I pay my old best friend a visit. She’s at the same age with me. We were at the same class and sat at the same bench for almost more than 10 years since kindergarten until high school . We only got separated when we enrolled into different university. She wanted to work at the bank just like her sister while I wanted so much to be a teacher. But God works in such a mysterious way sometimes. Our fate has turned our childhood ideal the opposite. She became the lecturer and I worked at the bank.

In front of her porch, there are two grape vines that climb at two bamboo poles as their trailing media. It’s been in their fourth year, they bear many green grapes. When the fruits are still raw, they have green color and they taste so sour. When they are ripe, they have a yellow cast or straw color and taste sweet.

My friend will pick up the ripe ones, put them on the plate …and we will greedily eat them while talking, lol. She told me that after being harvested, their leaves and small branches must be cut off to enable them to grow fruits again. If it is not done, they will not bear any fruit. The same treatment goes to apple plantation at Batu Malang. As there is not any fall season in Indonesia, some help to take off the leaves must be done.

No comments: